Beckfoot Priestthorpe Primary School teaches Sex and Relationships Education (R.S.E) as part of the Personal, Social, Health and Citizens Education (P.S.H.C.E) programme building up in an age-appropriate way from Reception to Year 6. The P.S.H.C.E curriculum covers the following themes:
- Developing confidence and responsibility and making the most of pupils’ abilities;
- Preparing to play an active role as citizens;
- Developing a healthier, safer lifestyle; and
- Developing good relationships and respecting differences between people.
Our Primary age Sex and Relationships Education covers the following overall, further details for what your child or children will be taught can be seen in the medium-term teaching plans for each year group:
- Help prepare children for their future lives.
- Develop skills and self-esteem to help children enter adolescence.
- Prepare children for puberty.
- Enable pupils to develop knowledge, communication skills and understanding in order to facilitate personal decision making.
- To enable pupils to develop the ability to form positive, non-exploitative relationships.
- To enable pupils to be aware of personal, psychological, emotional and physical changes in themselves and others.
- To emphasize the role and the value of family life.
- Explore attitudes and values.
- Develop mutual respect and care for others.
- Address concerns and correct common misunderstandings children may have gained from the media and their peers.
- Develop skills to help children protect themselves from unwanted physical contact.
- Be conducted in a sensitive manner in a relaxed environment that enables children to air their feelings and views.
- Be taught as a spiral programme that is differentiated to meet the needs of children at different ages and stages of development.
The plans are reviewed annually and updated as necessary. We have always taught broadly this P.S.H.C.E curriculum at Beckfoot Priestthorpe and the main difference now is that the teaching of RSE is now something the Government has made mandatory.
Covid-19 information: we may need to adjust the teaching plans slightly during this year due to the pandemic but will endeavour to teach everything in each year group’s plan by the end of the summer term 2.
Please can you look at the PSE plans for your child/children’s year group, (the RSE content is highlighted in red) and complete the questionnaire by Friday 18th December.