8th March 2023
Information regarding Industrial Action 15 and 16 March
Planned strike action at Beckfoot Priestthorpe Primary School on Wednesday 15 and Thursday 16 March 2023.
We write to update you on the progress of our contingency planning during the forthcoming strike action in schools.
What will happen at the school during the strike?
- As a result of the strike action our school will be partially closed and this is different on Wednesday and Thursday.
- On Wednesday 15 March school will be open for Y4, Y5 and Y6 children and those children should attend as usual.
- On Wednesday 15 March school will be closed for children in Nursery, Reception, Year 1, Year 2 and Year 3
- On Thursday 16 March school will be open for Year 4 and Y6 children and those children should attend as usual.
- On Thursday 16 March school will be closed for children in Nursery, Reception, Year 1, Year 2, Year 3 and Year 5.
- Whilst there will be no formal remote learning in place, the children may access TTRockstars and Numbots at home, read their reading book or do some research or other work around their current topics.
- All children who qualify for free school meals will be provided with a ‘grab bag’ or lunch for Wednesday and Thursday (Year 5 will receive a grab bag for Thursday only), which they will bring home with them on Tuesday (Year 5 on Wednesday).
- The Year 6 residential is not affected by the strike action
Some staff might form a picket line outside the school. A picket line is where staff gather near the entrance to a workplace to protest in person, they may be holding notice boards or banners. If that is the case, I would like to take this opportunity to remind all students and parents that as a Trust we support our staff’s legal right to strike. Please ensure that any interactions you have with staff are courteous and respectful as they would be on any other day.
We would also like to remind you that it is unlawful for people who are not members of staff at the school (or their union representatives) to join a picket line. We therefore ask parents or carers or pupils to refrain from joining any picket line.
We have tried to give parents and carers as much notice as possible of these circumstances. We appreciate that any closure / partial closure may be disruptive to you, for which we apologise. We hope that you understand we have not taken these decisions lightly. As we are anticipating heavily reduced numbers of staffing, we had to make decisions to secure the health and safety of all the children and any non-striking staff.
Lastly, we want to take this opportunity to reiterate that your child’s education is important to all staff at Beckfoot Priestthorpe.