25th January 2023
Information regarding Industrial Action 1 February 2023
Re: Planned strike action at Beckfoot Priestthorpe Primary School on 1.2.23
We write to update you on the progress of our contingency planning during the forthcoming strike action in schools.
We have had confirmation from NEU that members of the union intend to take formal industrial action by participating in a strike which will take place on 1.2.23.
The strike action is in relation to a national dispute around teacher and school staff pay. I wanted to take this opportunity to further explain the dispute and to also outline the school’s plans during the strike.
What is the dispute which has led to the strike about
As you may know, over the summer the Department for Education agreed to a 5% pay rise for teachers. Teaching unions across England and Scotland, including NEU are in dispute with the Department for Education regarding their request for teachers pay to keep up with inflation and the cost of living.
What will happen at the school during the strike?
- As a result of the strike action our school will be partially closed.
- School will be open for Y4 and Y6 children and those children should attend as usual.
- School will be closed for children in Nursery, Reception, Year 1, Year 2, Year 3 and Year 5.
- Whilst there will be no formal remote learning in place, the children may access TTRockstars and Numbots at home, read their reading book or do some research or other work around their current topics.
- All children who qualify for free school meals will be provided with a ‘grab bag’ lunch for the Wednesday, which they will bring home with them on Tuesday.
Some staff might form a picket line outside the school. A picket line is where staff gather near the entrance to a workplace to protest in person, they may be holding notice boards or banners. If that is the case, I would like to take this opportunity to remind all students and parents that as a Trust we support our staff’s legal right to strike. Please ensure that any interactions you have with staff are courteous and respectful as they would be on any other day.
We would also like to remind you that it is unlawful for people who are not members of staff at the school (or their union representatives) to join a picket line. We therefore ask parents or carers or pupils to refrain from joining any picket line.
We have tried to give parents and carers as much notice as possible of these circumstances. We appreciate that any closure / partial closure may be disruptive to you, for which we apologise. We hope that you understand we have not taken these decisions lightly. As we are anticipating heavily reduced numbers of staffing, we had to make decisions to secure the health and safety of all the children and any non-striking staff.
Lastly, we want to take this opportunity to reiterate that your child’s education is important to all staff at Beckfoot Priestthorpe.