28th June 2023
Information regarding Industrial action on Wednesday 5 and Friday 7 July 2023
Planned strike action at Beckfoot Priestthorpe Primary School on Wednesday 5th July and Friday 7th July 2023. We write to update you on the progress of our contingency planning during the forthcoming strike action in schools.
What will happen at the school during the strike?
- As a result of the strike action our school will be partially closed.
- Individual year group opening days are as follows:
Nursery and Reception open Wednesday, closed Friday
Year 1 closed Wednesday, open Friday
Year 2 closed both days
Year 3 closed both days
Year 4 open both days
Year 5 open Wednesday (The Saltaire trip will go ahead), closed Friday
Year 6 open both days
- School expectations are:
On Wednesday - EYFS, Year 4, Year 5 and Year 6 are in school and on Friday - Year 1, Year 4 and Year 6 are in school.
- Whilst there will be no formal remote learning in place, the children may access TTRockstars and Numbots at home, read their reading book or do some research or other work around their current topics.
- All children who qualify for free school meals will be provided with a ‘grab bag’ or lunch for Wednesday and Friday which they will bring home with them on Tuesday 4th July and Thursday 6th July.
- As a result of the strike action, all transition activities to new classes within the school will now take place on Thursday 6th July when Year 6 are at their new schools.
- Children who are new to Reception will still have their transition morning on Wednesday 5th July.
Some staff might form a picket line outside the school. A picket line is where staff gather near the entrance to a workplace to protest in person, they may be holding notice boards or banners. If that is the case, I would like to take this opportunity to remind all students and parents that as a Trust we support our staff’s legal right to strike. Please ensure that any interactions you have with staff are courteous and respectful as they would be on any other day.
We would also like to remind you that it is unlawful for people who are not members of staff at the school (or their union representatives) to join a picket line. We therefore ask parents or carers or pupils to refrain from joining any picket line.
We have tried to give parents and carers as much notice as possible of these circumstances. We appreciate that any closure / partial closure may be disruptive to you, for which we apologise. We hope that you understand we have not taken these decisions lightly. As we are anticipating heavily reduced numbers of staffing, we had to make decisions to secure the health and safety of all the children and any non-striking staff.
Lastly, we want to take this opportunity to reiterate that your child’s education is important to all staff at Beckfoot Priestthorpe.